© 2014-2017 Offshore Radio Museum
Top: the Landskrona studio in 1959
Above: control panel on board Cheeta
Left: Aerial mast on Cheeta
Below: Tape playback machines on Cheeta
Cheeta - 1.5kw (ERP 20kW from a directional aerial) home built transmitter. Power increased to 14 Kw in November 1958.
Cheeta 2 - 21kw Siemans transmitter
Cheeta - 98’ (30m) approx
Technical equipment on board the original Cheeta was relatively primitive and
largely home built by William Petersen, a bicycle mechanic and amateur radio enthusiast.
He built the original FM transmitter, largely from an old taxi radio, as well as the
antenna installed on board the ship.
Equipment originally used to record programmes in the landbased studio was also very primitive – a domestic record player and tape recorder (Phillips EL3542) as well as a home made mixer unit.
Later more professional equipment was purchased.
Radio station engineering departments issue QSL cards to verify reception reports received from listeners
Click to enlarge
Left: the first landbased control room with Jerry Katz (foreground) and Göran Mellblom (background).
Ship and Location
Back to Scandinavia Gallery
Back to Skanes Radio Mercur