Originally known MTF No 1 the ship was built by J. S Watson Ltd. of Gainsborough for services on the River Tyne operated by Mid Tyne Ferries.
She was 80' (24.4m) long, and licensed to carry 313 passengers and 3 crew on daily ferry runs and 240 passengers and 3 crew when operating outside the normal ferry route. Later the ship was renamed Tyne Princess.
In 1983 the Tyne Princess passed into the ownership of Swan Hunter Ship Yard and in 1987 she was acquired by Seahorse Enterprises.
The ship was taken to a floating dry dock at Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppey where extensive restoration work was undertaken on the hull, and the superstructure was altered.
In August 1987, after five months work carried out by volunteers, the vessel - now re-named Galexy - made her maiden voyage to London.
In July 1992 work started on converting the Galexy into a "radio ship". She was used from an anchorage off Walton on the Naze, Essex (and later, due to bad weather, from the Walton Backwaters) to broadcast Offshore Radio 1584 (a Restricted Service Licence station ) from 13th August to 2nd September 1992 to mark the 25th anniversary of the introduction of the British Marine etc Broadcasting (Offences) Act 1967.
Thanks to Martin van der Ven for allowing us to use some additional information from the Broadcasting Fleet section of the Offshore Radio Guide in this Gallery