Six miles off the coast of Frinton-
Its position was within British territorial waters.
The lighthouse is mounted on seven screw piles driven into the sea bed forming a steel lattice and the whole structure was originally painted red.
The hexagonal tower mounted on the piles housed living accommodation comprising a living room, bedroom, kitchen/washroom and storeroom. The light enclosure was mounted on the roof.
The first of these type of lighthouse structures was built on Maplin Sands in 1836, and several others followed, including Chapman Sands off Canvey, and on the Yantlet. All have long since been demolished, and only Gunfleet remains.
George Henry Saunders was contractor for the construction of Gunfleet Lighthouse and he used Mitchell's Screw Piles.
Messrs Walker and Burges were the Engineers.
Operational as a lighthouse until being abandoned in 1921. It is still in use as an automated weather station by the Port of London Authority, and marks the northern eastern limit of their jurisdiction.
Planned to house Radio Dolphin (a resurrection of the successful Radio Atlantis, which had closed when the Dutch Marine Offences Act came into force in September 1974).